Common Misconceptions That Could Affect Your Speed of Recovery
Did you know?
- Less than 10% of concussions in high school soccer were caused by ball contact with the head
- More than 50% of concussions are never reported
- Appropriate, specific and timely management of concussions can make the difference between short term symptoms with resolution and persistent symptoms with lifelong difficulties
- After a brief period of rest, concussion patients can be encouraged to become gradually and progressively more active under guidance from the physiotherapist
- Evidence-based concussion care is collaborative and includes cervical spine treatment, vision therapy, vestibular rehab, and exercise therapy
- Guided exercise therapy has been shown to increase blood flow and speed up recovery
Concussions only happen in contact sports or with a direct impact to the head.
A concussion is the result of an acceleration/deceleration of the brain.
There does not have to be any contact.
You have to lose consciousness to have a concussion.
90% of concussions do not result in a loss of consciousness.
Helmets and mouth guards prevent concussions.
Helmets prevent skull fractures. Mouthguards prevent damage to the teeth. Neither prevents concussions.
Rest is the best recovery after a concussion.
Rest is only appropriate for 24-48 hours maximum, after which a gradual increase in activity and exercise should start.
Every concussion gets better at the same speed and I should push myself to get better faster.
Each concussion is very different, and the rate of recovery varies from person to person. It is best to see a qualified professional assess and treat specifically what is causing your symptoms.
Our trained Concussion team can assess and treat the underlying cause of the post-concussion symptoms and have a series of tests to assess whether a person is safe to return to school, work, or sports.
For athletes, preseason baseline testing provides us with valuable information to assist in determining when an athlete can return to their pre injury level of activity.
To book an appointment with one of our Concussion providers, please visit our location today.